Monday, January 17, 2011

Dance, baby, dance

Day 13



Ahhh, this will probably be one of my favorite pictures.  It would be better if I had my original pointe shoes, but they are up north.  They are beautiful - grungy, falling apart, no longer pink.  I love them.  I think to this day there is really not anything worse than getting new pointe shoes.  They are stiff and uncomfortable.  Once they are all worn in - they are great!  That being said, I do not think I truly appreciated my pointe shoes or even ballet in general until I was about 16...actually I know I didn't truly appreicate it until the year I danced to "Memory" from Cats.  After that, I finally understood what it meant to be a ballerina and I loved it. 

I remember being so excited to get those tap shoes.  I finally got "big girl" tap shoes that had a bit of a heel.  What was even better was when I got to have "jingle taps."  It took me a while to master how to tap with the jingles without sounding sloppy, but in the end it was worth it.

I love to dance.  I have always loved to dance - for as long as I remember I have loved it.  When I did the recital last year - first recital since I was 17, I was nervous.  Who wouldn't be?  Old fat ladies dancing = GROSS.  But the exhileration of being on the stage again was priceless.  It is the one place that I am always comfortable.  It doesn't matter that I hate myself, when I'm on the stage with whatever shoes I have on and those lights are shining all bright - I love myself.  Those are moments I will cherish forever.

1 comment:

  1. Two you were two when you first sat through a ballet on tv and told me that's what you wanted to do. I was on a mission to find you the best dance teacher I could. Linda Friis was it. She helped you gain that stage presence you have now. Never let it go.

    ReplyDelete