Friday, January 14, 2011

Who am I

Day 10



I guess this project is turning into a soul searching project for me, eh?!  Then again, it may just be how I’m feeling this week.  Anyway, I think most people at 34 years old have a pretty good idea of who they are and where they are going.  I am not your average 34 year old, obviously.  How many mid-30 year old people out there don’t know who they are?  Or, how many don’t know what they want to do with their life?  This is not a new debate for me.  I have been debating some parts of this since I started school.  I don’t want to be an accountant.  I have never wanted to be an accountant.  This is fulfilling a quarter of a dream that I had back when I was 15ish.  I wanted to double major and double minor…I wanted to major in accounting and music and minor in dance and computers.  Why?  I wanted to own my own dance studio, but was smart enough even then to realize that it would take money and therefore I had to have a job that would make me money before I could have the studio.  Logical isn’t it?

Things change, though.  Everybody knows that.  The problem is, when things change, people just make new dreams or new goals.  That’s where I’m lost.  I’m going to school for accounting.  When I’m done, I’ll either have a bachelors or a masters, depending on how I feel.  For now, we’ll say bachelors.  I DON’T WANT TO BE AN ACCOUNTANT.  What do I want to do?  I don’t know…I no longer want my own dance studio.  Why?  Because I think that Holt has enough dance studios and I don’t want to move.  

So, in answer to your question yesterday, Andy, I don’t know what kind of business I want to own or what I would name it.  About a year ago I toyed around with the idea of a school for the arts as there isn’t a really good one right here in this area.  I think, in the long run, what I want is some form of place or organization that focuses on the arts for kids.  At 34 years old with limited funds, that’s a pretty lofty dream.

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a good dream Jamie. And a positive business too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just because you get a degree in accounting doesn't mean you have to be an accounting. I mean I have a masters in it and work in IT! No accounting whatsoever!
    And I think a school for the arts is a great idea :) I don't think there's anything like that around here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dreams sometimes change. You go with them. If a school for the arts is what you want...go for it. I'll help all I can.

    ReplyDelete