Sunday, January 9, 2011

Day 5

As I waited for Jay's game to start this morning, I was thinking about all of the things that I missed as a kid and wondered if it bothered me.  I didn't play basketball or soccer or softball.  I was a dancer first and foremost and a runner second.  For a time I was a gymnast - albeit a bad one.  I will grudgingly admit that I did one season of basketball cheerleading and had quite enough of that.

I've decided that I have no regrets.  Sports with balls never appealed to me.  I knew I wasn't good at them - so why bother playing.  I also knew I was good at dancing and a decent runner and that was enough for me.  The downside was that I was an outsider.  Now, I know that being an outsider in middle/jr high/high school doesn't make a damn bit of difference, but then it hurt.  I wish I could tell these girls now, that who they are in junior high - whether it's Ms. Popular, the class clown, or the nerd DOESN'T MATTER.  In 10 years - no one will care...not even you.

5 comments:

  1. I often wonder the same things as I watch my nieces and nephews grow up playing all sorts of sports and so on. I was halfway decent at baseball & basketball, but nowhere near competitive enough to really want to keep it up.

    While I have no major regrets in life, I often wonder how life would be if I did things different. "What if", ya' know? I suppose that is regret to some degree, but don't we all do that? Wonder where we would be now?

    Though there are things I hated doing or living, but have no desire to erase the occurence of it.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, and I agree :)

    I sincerely feel bad for kids who are in middle / high school right now because it sucked so bad for me...although most kids are much more popular than I ever was :( Oh well.... I guess then, I feel sorry for the people who "peak" when they're teens and basically live off that "glory" for the rest of their lives, doing virtually nothing of significance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, 8-12th grades sucked for me. I was the nerd/outcast/freak. I had friends that could be my friends when the "cool" people weren't around but wouldn't acknowledge me at school. I didn't even fit in with the nerds/outcasts/freaks. I was outside of everything. I think that's part of the reason it took me so damn long to be comfortable with who I am.

    The really unfortunate thing is that I watch my daughter and fear that she will have the same experience when she is so much more than what I was :( I can only hope that eventually she will believe that those people who think they are God's gift to the world will end up big fat nothings and she will be successful in whatever she chooses to do. Popularity isn't everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a difference. I can relate very well to you. I moved in 7th grade so it was 7-12 for me. I moved you in 8th grade. Megan has not moved schools since 3rd grade. She has a friend base. She is an outstanding athlete. It won't be easy for her, but it won't be as bad (I hope).

    ReplyDelete