Monday, March 21, 2011

I can make a difference...

Day 73

I know I blog about the gym a lot.  I probably blog about it more than I should.  The thing is, that was a HUGE part of my life.  I coached SO many kids over a 6 year period.  Those kids all touched my heart.  There are some, though, that will always stand out.  For example, the two beautiful young ladies in the picture with me  - they are sisters.  I coached Teagan first.  She's the young lady that is almost taller than me on the right.  As a matter of fact, she's the first kid that I dropped.  Remember that?  She was on beam doing a side handstand.  I was training with Andy and really didn't have a clue what I was doing.  She went up into her handstand and I was apparently in la la land and she ended up on my head.  I guess technically, I didn't drop her, but still.  Sorry bout that, Teagan!  Ashley I had the blessing of coaching after I had a little time under my belt.  She's the young lady on the left.  Ashley has always been feisty and happier than any other kid I've ever come across.  She was the kind of kid that always told you exactly what she was thinking - always honest.  Love her for that.

I had the opportunity to go watch these girls perform the other day.  Ashley's team went first.  After their STELLAR performance, the girls got to introduce themselves and Ashley made a point to tell everyone in that whole stinking gym that she loves me.  Melted. my. heart.  Yes, I sure did cry like a little baby.  That young woman will never know just how much that meant to me or just how much I love her.  I often wonder if I made a difference - I think I did, but being who I am, there's always that question.  Ashley proved to me that I did and the smile on her face and the hug I got afterwards COMPLETELY made my day.

1 comment: