Thursday, March 3, 2011

Loud and Proud

Day 57

I wish I could have had the confidence I have now when I was a kid.  I wish I could have been comfortable enough with myself to be myself back then.  I think it took me until, well honestly, about 5 years ago to finally figure out how to be myself.  This picture is a shirt - my shirt...one that I love.  It's also a shirt that I never would have picked out for myself years ago because it would have made people look at me.

In Montrose, I wasn't aware of my insecurity.  I think that I had enough friends that I wasn't overly insecure. I was comfortable with who I was.  That said, when we moved, every insecurity I had ever had even those that were way deep down in, came out in full force.  I wanted to be whatever the new people wanted me to be.  I wanted to be one of the "popular" kids.  It took me a long time to realize that those who seek popularity and crave popularity are the people who cannot be themselves.  I wish I had known that then.  I wish that I had left a different impression - of the person I really am and not of the person that I wanted them to think I was.  Then again, now, I don't much care.  Now, for the most part, I am comfortable enough with myself to be who I am all the time.  I am crazy.  I am silly.  I care too much.  I have a quick temper.  I'm smarter than I care to share with others.  I'm opinionated and sassy.  I don't trust easily.  I LOVE life. I'm happy.

My point here is not really to tell you who I am.  If you don't know me, it doesn't much matter.  What I want is for kids now - like my daughter - to realize that being herself is the most important thing.  It's not about popularity - no one gives a rats ass about being popular after high school.  Life is NOT a popularity contest.  Just be yourself - it's far more satisfying in the end.

1 comment:

  1. I think your "true" friends knew who you were in high school. They are the ones still comfortable calling you friend, and me, Mom. They are the ones you can call and they will be there. I know who they are, and they saw through all the insecurities and learned who you were.

    ReplyDelete