Sunday, March 13, 2011

Love/Passion

Day 67

Ever wonder what you want to be when you grow up?  Ever ponder what it really is that you have a passion for?  These are obviously things I have struggled with off and on for a while now.  I'm actually good now  - now that I have a focus and finally (I think) figured out what I want and am going to do with my life.  In order to figure it out, though, I had to break down my problem to the roots and really figure out what it is that I love or have a passion for.

What did I decide on?  Torturing children, of course.  I'm kidding - sort of.  When you really get down to it though, what I love and have a passion for is kids.  There is nothing I love more than working with kids.  Coaching was the most amazing experience for me.  I know that I tortured some (ok most) of these kids.  I made them cry over and over.  I yelled and even kicked them out of class.  I made them climb the rope so much they probably thought their arms would fall off.  I was mean and I pushed.  I pushed them until they thought they would keel over and die. 

I have no regrets.  On my facebook, I have most of the kids that I coached over a 6 1/2 year period.  I can assure you that those are the same children that I made cry.  They are the same kids that went home and told their parents how mean I was and how much they hated me.  They are the same kids that will now post on my page how much they miss me and who will run up and give me a huge hug when they see me.  I love every last one of them with every inch of my being and I know that (most) of them love me. 

I've had multiple discussions with different people in different settings lately about the lack of respect in kids now.  I hate it.  I would love to have one week with these kids in the gym.  I find it foolish that parents expect adults to "earn" a child's respect.  Have you never heard the saying "respect your elders?"  When did this become a society where we have to respect the children first and then hope they will listen to what we say?  Had I done that in the gym, it would have been a disaster.  The girls would have learned nothing.  I am a firm believer in discipline and respect.  I will treat you with respect when you show me that you will do as I say.  I did not ever ask my girls to do anything they were not capable of.  They may not have thought they could do it, but I assure you they could.

I am well aware this is another of my "controversial" posts and that's ok.  It's how I feel.  Ask those girls how they feel about me?  They will give you the honest truth.

1 comment:

  1. wonder where you learned this philosophy? could it be from the woman who has former students on her facebook page that want to know who they need to hurt when I am sad?

    ReplyDelete