Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Who reads?!?!!?

Day 60

It never ceases to amaze me how many people do not enjoy reading.  I can't imagine not reading.  I love reading.  I like all kinds of books...fiction, non-fiction, biographies, autobiographies, even these stupid books for school.  I crave the knowledge.  I love getting lost in the fiction books.  I think we've done a decent job of showing our children the value of reading.  They don't read as much as I would like, but they do enjoy it. 

My first job was in a library in 6th grade.  I couldn't have asked for a better first job.  I was surrounded by books.  What is better than that?  I remember summers when I would ride to the library, check out 6-8 books and go home and just read.  Then I would head back a few days later and check out at least that many more.  Yep, I read that much.

I fear with all the advances in technology that at some point books will become obsolete.  That truly frightens me.  There is nothing quite like turning the page of book, or folding the corner down to save your spot, or the smell of a brand new book, better yet, the smell of a really old book.  The kindles are great and convenient, but it's just not the same.

5 comments:

  1. and when a book falls on your face you are not likely to get your nose broken. I have not yet released any of my books for Kindle or Nook or any other e-book format

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH OH OH....or falling asleep reading a book...not the same with a kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kindle is great, because I love going backpacking and camping and traveling. Frankly, I'm tired of that extra suitcase with numerous books.

    That being said, the Kindle will never be the same as the touch, smell and emotions of a real book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love my kindle & I read more because of it. I love reading but kind of stopped buying books because they clutter up the house so much (there are very few books I'll re-read).
    However, I'll admit that some books are better suited to a traditional format (textbooks, anything with illustrations, graphs, pictures, whatever).

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE reading...wish I had more time for it, and I LOVE a good BOOK, NOT a kindle or nook, etc... I do not even want one, I told John that also, lest he think it would be a cool something to surprise me w/. I want a physical book. I LOVE the library and will read anything, I love this blog post because I could have written it, my sentiments exactly! I'll read anything once LOL...yeah I've read a lot of crappy books, but I still read them. I had the meanest forth grade teacher in the world, and I thought she was nuts, but she made us all learn how to speed read...best thing I've ever learned at school. Anyway..thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete